AVTA Scholarships and Awards
Vet Tech of the Year Award – 2024 Nominations Open
Do you know an outstanding veterinary technician? The Alabama Veterinary Technician Association is now accepting nominations for the 2024 Alabama Veterinary Technician of the Year!
1. Nominee must be a licensed veterinary technician in the state of Alabama
2. Nominator must submit a brief essay (250-word maximum) detailing how this individual has provided leadership and contribution to the veterinary industry as well as outstanding achievement
3. Application must be submitted no later than 11:59pm CST on October 15, 2024
4. Application should include nominee’s full name, email address, and phone number. The AVTA executive board will review all application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Recipient will be announced at the AVTA Annual Conference on October 22, 2024.
VCA Animal Hospitals Scholarship – 2024 Nominations Are Open
The Alabama Veterinary Technician Association is proud to announce a sponsored scholarship from VCA Animal Hospitals! This scholarship will be awarded to one veterinary technology student for the amount of $500. The scholarship may be used for payment of tuition, fees, and/or books.
The VCA Animal Hospital Sponsored Scholarship criteria:
- Student must be full-time in a veterinary technology program in the state of Alabama
- Given on the basis of academic achievement
- Student must have a 3.0 GPA or higher in high school or previous college courses
- Applicants must submit a brief essay (500-word maximum) detailing why they want to be a veterinary technician
- Applicants must submit two letters of support. One must be from a faculty member of the program they attend and the other must be from a DVM/VMD or credentialed technician they have worked with. In the event a letter cannot be obtained from a faculty member, a second letter from a DVM/VMD or credentialed technician will be accepted.
- Applicants should include their full name, email address, and phone number
The AVTA executive board will review all applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. A scholarship recipient will be selected and awarded $500 via check.
Special thanks for VCA Animal Hospitals for their continued support of credentialed veterinary technicians and the sponsorship of the scholarship.
Alabama Veterinary Medical Foundation Scholarship – 2024 Applications Open
- Applicants must be a current AVTA member (2024) and be in good standing with the Alabama State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners if licensed
• Applicants must submit a brief essay (250-word maximum) detailing what he/she would use the scholarship funds for (pursuit of higher education, certifications, continuing education, veterinary related projects or enrichments e.g. community outreach/service etc.)
• Applicants must submit two letters* of support from a DVM/VMD, credentialed technician, or professional reference such as college professor or colleague. *At least one of these letters must be from a veterinarian or credentialed technician
• Applicants should include their full name, email address, and phone number
The AVTA executive board will review all applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. A scholarship recipient will be selected and will be awarded $500 via check.
Special thanks to ALVMF for their continued support of credentialed veterinary technicians and the sponsorship of the scholarship.
AAVSB VTNE Scholarship
AAVSB VTNE Diversity Award
NAVTA-Boehringer Ingelheim Scholarship
The Zoetis Foundation/AVMF Veterinary Technician Student Scholarship
The Zoetis Foundation and the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are pleased to announce the 2023 Zoetis Foundation/AVMF Veterinary Technician Student Scholarship. This program was developed to offset educational expenses related to attaining a veterinary technology education. The program focuses on addressing the issue of student debt, as well as the need to foster diversity in the profession – issues that greatly impact the future of the veterinary profession.
In addition to the traditional selection criteria of academic excellence and financial need, the scholarships will focus on meeting ongoing needs of the veterinary profession – diversity, sustainability, and mixed/rural medicine practices. Scholarships will be awarded to students with career interests in all areas, including food animal medicine, small animal clinical medicine, research, government services, public health, organized veterinary medicine, etc. Through the Zoetis Foundation/AVMF Veterinary Technician Student Scholarship Program, AVMF and school leadership will identify outstanding veterinary technician students who can help address our changing world and the health, food, and welfare needs of the U.S. veterinary community.
More than 200 scholarships worth $2000 each will be awarded.
- Currently enrolled full-time and in good standing at an AVMA-accredited veterinary technology, veterinary nursing or animal health technology program in the United States or Puerto Rico.
- At application time be entering the 2nd year of a 2-year program (or equivalent for term-based programs) or the 3rd year of a 4-year (or equivalent for term-based programs) AVMA-accredited veterinary technology, veterinary nursing or animal health technology program (or equivalent for term-based programs) in the United States or Puerto Rico.
Application Requirements and Deadline
The application period opens September 1, 2023 and closes October 7, 2023 at 11:59 PM EST. All applications must be fully submitted by October 7 to qualify.
Search to check eligibility of your school for The Zoetis Foundation/AVMF Veterinary Technician Student Scholarship.